Glebe Report Editor
The Glebe Report Board of Directors is seeking the most suitable candidate
to assume the position of editor of the Glebe Report, as of mid-June 2014. The Glebe Report is a print-first community paper with an online presence.
Currently the position entails:
• good knowledge of issues currently facing the Glebe, and familiarity with recent history of the community and its core organizations.
• ability to manage a team, including a collaborative approach to working with both professional and volunteer contributors.
• post-secondary education in the humanities and social sciences; experience in journalism would be an asset.
• writing excellence with an appreciation for plain English.
• editing skills, including identifying relevant stories and developing a roster of contributors as a part of content acquisition; structural and stylistic editing; copy editing; picture research; fact checking; working with pertinent media law issues; and production co-ordination.
• basic photography skills.
• basic understanding of visual design issues and layout.
• basic understanding of the use of the Internet, social media in journalism.
• strong organizational and interpersonal skills, with varied experience in non-profit community organizations.
• computer fluency (WORD in Microsoft Office 2011 and Mac Mail are required; Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Twitter and Facebook are assets).
• availability to attend community meetings and events, to work on-site during production and to report to the Board of Directors after each production cycle.
The position currently requires up to 150-160 hours per issue.
A modest monthly honorarium is provided.
Interested parties can contact GR Board Chair Bob Brocklebank at
email@example.com for more details and for the
Application deadline: February 28, 2014 at 5 p.m.