McKeen Metro Glebe
has a long history in the Glebe.
James McKeen (1874-1953) began as an employee of a grocery store on the former Hill Street (Nanny Goat Hill), which he then bought. He opened his first Glebe store in 1910 at 901 Bank Street (corner of Bank and Clarey Avenue, now the home of Running Room). He sold groceries there until retirement in 1944.
His son Harold McKeen (1911-1988) opened his own grocery store on First Avenue near O’Connor in 1934. In 1955 he opened the store at 754 Bank Street, its current home. Harold’s son James (Jim) took over the store for many years, and Jim’s daughter Rebecca is now manager and part-owner of the store.
These photos show James McKeen’s original grocery store at 901 Bank Street.
PHOTOS AND INFORMATION COURTESY
OF GLEBE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.